As part of the implementation of the Global Laboratory Leadership Programme (GLLP) in South America, IQLS Senior Laboratory Specialist Dr. Arsen Zakaryan and Veterinary Laboratory Specialist Dr. Erika Ornelas-Eusebio conducted an assessment of the human and animal health laboratory systems using a One Health approach at the start of May in Ecuador.
The assessment was done in collaboration with stakeholders in Ecuador: National Institute for Public Health Research (INSPI) and Agriculture Quality Assurance Agency (AGROCALIDAD), national agencies responsible for public health, animal health and phytosanitary.
Teams from both INSPI and AGROCALIDAD were very participative and eager to collaborate within the framework of the GLLP in Ecuador. The two-week work period ended successfully with the final debriefing presentation of the assessment results and the creation of One Health technical Working Group.
About the GLLP: Empowering National Laboratory Systems
The Global Laboratory Leadership Programme is a collaboration of six international partner organizations who support the advancement of laboratory systems across the globe. These partners include: the World Health Organization (WHO), the Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), and the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE).
They are committed to the vision of laboratory leaders empowering national laboratory systems across the globe using a One Health approach to strengthen health security of human, animal, food and water laboratories.
For more information, please see the GLLP website at: https://www.who.int/initiatives/global-laboratory-leadership-programme.
Also find out more about this mission via INSPI and AGROCALIDAD’s Twitter social media accounts, where they showcased photos and updates of our collaboration:
- First day with IQLS: https://twitter.com/INSPI_ECUADOR/status/1392154515927937033?s=20
- Video from our visit: https://twitter.com/INSPI_ECUADOR/status/1394315450859802625?s=20
- Laboratory visit at Guayaquil: https://twitter.com/INSPI_ECUADOR/status/1392948922499411971?s=20
- Debriefing: https://twitter.com/INSPI_ECUADOR/status/1395806699647295489?s=20 and https://twitter.com/INSPI_ECUADOR/status/1395768711697604618?s=20 and https://twitter.com/INSPI_ECUADOR/status/1395765592594997253?s=20
- Tweet stating the creation of the working group: https://twitter.com/AgrocalidadEC/status/1395801104936574982?s=20
- Debriefing session: https://twitter.com/AgrocalidadEC/status/1395759578097324037?s=20
- Finalizing the working week: https://twitter.com/AgrocalidadEC/status/1395172181001310210?s=20
- Laboratory visit: https://twitter.com/AgrocalidadEC/status/1395141476623998982?s=20
- Working week: https://twitter.com/AgrocalidadEC/status/1394789693754064905?s=20